Who can lodge a complaint at IAU?

  1. Any person who feels aggrieved by the misconduct of a police officer.
  2. Any person authorized by law, for instance an advocate, on behalf of the person aggrieved by the police misconduct.
  3. Any person who has reported/filed a complaint at a police station or establishment and the police have failed to take action.

In the performance of its functions, the Unit shall be subject to Article 47 of the Constitution. The Unit shall investigate misconduct and hear complaints—
(a) from members of the Service or members of the public;
(b) at the direction of a senior officer;
(c) on its own initiative; or
(d) on the direction of the Inspector-General; or
(e) at the request of the Independent Police Oversight Authority.

How to lodge a complaint
Any person aggrieved by the conduct of a police officer may lodge a complaint with the IAU on any of the following grounds:
i. that the police officer acted contrary to any written law;
ii. that the conduct of the police officer amounted to misconduct; or
iii. any other lawful and sufficient ground.
Provided that such ground shall not be frivolous, vexatious or scandalous.